How to Install a Bathroom Fan?
Is there growing mold and mildew in your bathroom? That’s because of the moisture which always exists in there. And for removing these the best option is to install a bathroom fan. A bathroom fan not only removes the moisture but also it helps eliminate the bad odor from your bathroom. So first you need to know how to install a bathroom fan.
Well, you may think of calling a mechanic but when you know this thing what is the need of calling the person! You can save both time and money. You just need some instrument and nothing else. So here stay with me and have the whole procedure!
Installation of a bathroom fan
When you are installing a bathroom fan, there are few steps you need to follow. Those are given here:
- To match the exact strength of fan, you need to know the CMF rating of the bathroom. CFM Stands for ‘Cubic Feet per Minute’ and that shows the quantity of air/minute that the fan is able to move. Larger fans are suitable for larger bathrooms and smaller fans are for smaller ones.
- Multiply the bathroom’s cubic footage and divide it with 7.5 and you will know the rating.
- New fan’s sound rating usually falls between .5 to 6. So, the next step is to consider the rating of the sound. The sound rating and CFM are printed right on the box of the box.
- It’s better to select the place the fan between shower and the toilet for proper ventilation.
- Gather all the required tool and materials. The basic tools are – screwdriver, combination pliers, power drill, jigsaw. Basic materials are – a duct pipe, screws, caulk, vent cap, wire nuts. Stepladder, goggles, respirator, roof brackets, and cleats are also going to need.
- Take 1.9 cm of the spade for drilling an indicating where you are willing to set your fan in the ceiling. You can use pencil for marking the outline of the entire fan’s intake port.
- Use jigsaw for cutting the marked portion. Wear safety glasses when doing it.
- Attach a ninety-degree duck elbow using duct tape that’s made of foil before placing fan into the hole. Then place the fan into the hole.
- After positioning the fan, extend the brackets of metal and use screws for securing brackets to the joists.
- Attach one end of the duct pipe to the ninety-degree duck elbow using foil duct tape.
- Find the route that is shortest in length from the fan to pass the duct pipe and ensure fan’s efficiency.
- At the exiting terminal of the sidewall, take proper measurements so that you can pick the exact point on the outside as the inside. Use a saw or something else to cut the wall and place vent cap. If it’s on the roof make a circle, then cut it using a saw and install vent cap.
- Pull the fan wires out and twist the wires that are of same color. Add connectors, wrap a copper wire with bare end. Then place the wires in the splice.
- Now make the grille attached and turn on the power.
- First turn off the entire power from circuit box with breaker.
- Unscrew the motor blower machine, open the electrical splice, remove the wire connectors, undo the twist of the wires. So finally disconnecting the wires is done.
- Remove electrical wire from housing unit. Using power drill, you can remove up the screws.
- If the fan you brought is larger than the old fan, then make the hole larger. And if it is smaller, then use a chalk around the edges to fill the gaps. Secure the brackets using a power drill to the joists.
- Using screws of sheet metal, attach the duct elbow to exhaust port. Use a new duct pipe of 4 to 6-inch diameter.
- Again, connect the wires by opening the electrical box of splice. And do the same procedure of twisting the same color of wires and add the connector, wrap a copper wire with bare terminal. Then tuck back the wires into the box and do replace the cover.
- If you want to install a new duct pipe, then you have to install larg vent cap.
- Finally, finish the installation by installing the motor blower and screwing it properly. Then attach the plastic grille.
As you know the whole procedure of installing a bathroom fan, so now you can easily apply it at your home. But you need to take the precautions when working with electric and wires. And make sure that you are following the steps properly.